By Carol Cutler
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalm 32:8
This story came about this past November while I was ministering to my beloved friend, Barb, who was ill. She is eighty-three, legally blind, and lives in a retirement center where she feels called to minister to elderly people who are downcast. I am her caregiver and have the privilege of reading the Word over the phone to her daily and seeing her in person several times a week. You might enjoy what God did for us.
Barb began feeling extreme weakness, shortness of breath, a fear of falling and sheer exhaustion as she used her walker. She could hardly make it to my car. We got a wheelchair at the medical building. Her physician hospitalized her right away and called in a specialist to examine her. As the cardiologist examined her heart, her pulse would go up as high as 186 and then down as low as 35 in a short period of time without any change in activity! They began tracking her pulse and heart rhythm. She was going five to six seconds at a time without breathing. His professional advice was: “You need a pacemaker!”
He confidently counseled her by saying the following:
- The pacemaker will keep your heart beating with a steady pace.
- It will bring your energy back and give you endurance.
- It will give you an extended life!
And I knew it would restore her confidence, joy, and peace! Barb trusted her physician and received her pacemaker the following day. Afterwards, she felt so thankful, calm, and happy. Although Barb would require ongoing monitoring and need her pacemaker checked regularly, her main desire was to return to her independent-living facility to continue her ministry of sharing Jesus! Barb never took her eyes off Jesus. He sets her spiritual pace.
Paul wrote: “Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the Author and the Finisher of our faith.” Hebrews 12:2 Sisters, God’s grace will keep pace with whatever we face!
Say aloud: “Jesus is my Physician, and I receive His Spirit as my spiritual pacemaker!”
Relying on Jesus will:
- Replace my weaknesses and my confusion
- Make me strong and steady
- Remove my fears and doubts
- Keep me at a steady pace, yoked with Him, not hurried or lazy
- Bring me joy and peace
- Give me energy and desire to help others and share the good news of Jesus!
Not only do I love the caregiving, friendship, and mentoring Carol shares with Barb, I love the encouragement she is giving US!
Keep reading, please. 🙂 Ladies, we need to hear this message!
Who reading this right now feels overworked, worn-out, and typically running at a breakneck pace? Busyness is not our calling; keeping in step (in pace) with Christ is!
I challenge you to take a serious look at who keeps the pace of your day. Is it your schedule, your to-do list, your kids, your phone, your whims, or the leading of the Holy Spirit? Need some helpful tips?
- Begin each daily task or activity by pausing to pray and ask God to direct or redirect you.
- Look over your schedule and ask God to reveal anything you need to start, pause, or stop doing.
- Enjoy His peace and joy in the mundane and in the crazy by continually recognizing and celebrating His presence with you.
Let’s allow Jesus to be our Pacemaker!